In keeping with yesterday’s theme of using what you’ve got on hand (and at the request of a follower here at akitchensomewhere.com), I dove into the depths of the snack drawer to see what other concoctions I could muster without a trip to the grocery. Pimento cheese it is!
Now as I understand it, this may be a completely Southern standard. But, as I believe … it should be anyone’s standard. You’ll find hundreds of thousands of takes on the classic, all of which I’m sure are someone’s favorite. However, there are a few ingredients that I simply have to object to no matter the recipe – cottage cheese, store bought shredded cheese, Velveeta (it has it’s place, this is not it) and olives or frozen vegetable add ins (gross) are a few. To the contrary, a few others are indicative of a delightful taste bud treat – sharp cheddar, a splash of vinegar and a bit of spicy specifically.
Let’s concoct, shall we?
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups of cheese! ( I used about a cup of Vermont Seriously Sharp White Cheddar & about a cup of extra sharp cheddar)
- 1 small can of diced pimentos, drained (you’ll find these in the canned vegetable section. If you can’t find them diced roasted red peppers will do just fine.)
- 2 heaping spoonfuls of quality olive oil mayo or Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp of vinegar (apple cider, white balsamic, red wine – whatever you’ve got on hand)
- 1 healthy dose (about a tsp) of hot sauce of your choice (I used sriracha because it’s the best thing ever)
- a pinch of cayenne
What you’ll do:
- Shred your cheese. Please do not try to use that pre-shredded mess in the bag, it does no one justice.
- Combine all ingredients
- Serve it up on a sandwich, with celery sticks, pretzel thins, bagels, burgers, out of the bowl, or whatever else floats your fancy