I’m not big on trends in food … I like what I like and personally, I think it’s delicious all the time. Some foods have had the misfortune of encountering me ill-prepared, inexperienced or drenched in cheese. Brussel sprouts, for years, have fallen into such a scenario. Imagine my surprise when EVERYONE, and I do mean everyone suddenly starts touting the best shaved brussel sprout salad in town (ick)!
That being said, I’m not one to give up. To date, I’ve had 4 variations out on the town. Not that I’m not impressed or inspired. But, when you discover for the first time brussel spouts are not disgusting, I think it only fair to let their natural flavors shine. So to the kitchen I go!
Remember this … anything that someone has skillfully created in a restaurant, you can learn to do for yourself at home. Dining out is an opportunity to relax and enjoy the experience of the atmosphere AND the fare. Don’t you deserve that at home too?
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts, ends trimmed, loose leaves removed and sprouts shaved (use a mandolin or simply cut very carefully)
- 1/2 a medium red onion, shaved or cut thinly
- 1 cup of shaved pecorino cheese
- 2 tbsp or juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp quality olive oil
- pinch of kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
What you’ll do:
- Toss sprouts, onion and cheese in your favorite gorgeous bowl and set aside
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and honey until well combined
- Whisk in olive oil slowly and until emulsified
- Toss sprouts mixture with your dressing
*Undressed salad last for days in the fridge! Make a batch for the work week.