So, let’s be honest … shall we?
You’ve planned well. You’ve prepared for every possible scenario. You have stood in front of the mirror, your speech is memorized, your outfit is fresh & clean … and then, BOOM! You completely bomb. Yep … if it’s the bomb part … I nailed it today.
What you’ll need:
- One amazing recipe for sweet potato, black bean chili
- All ingredients to execute said recipe without a hitch
- A trying day (like this one)
- Distractions (mine was a dog and my thoughts)
- Equal parts honesty and humility
- Minimum of 2 strong cocktails
- A healthy dose of laughter
What you’ll do:
- Chop all ingredients and complete recipe up to the point of simmering and fail to turn heat down
- Walk away to take care of things/ dogs, pay bills, cry, watch TV, or whatever you fancy really
- Notice the scent of burning chili just in time to realize all liquid has left the pot
- Turn chili remnant off. Cry a bit. Pout. Throw chili remnant away.
- Pour the first of your cocktails
- Tell the truth about what happened to your post for today
- Pour the second of your cocktails
- Laugh at yourself
- Try again tomorrow.
Well … there have been a host of things going on around here, a few of which I can’t wait to share with you! It’s interesting the way life works out. It seems to be a constant revolving door of the people you meet, the people they know and the stories you live to tell about after the dust settles.
So fast forward to my thirties … I had the pleasure to collide with Saliva. They’ve played in front of the masses and their “Click, Click, Boom” is played at just about every sports venue throughout the year. Shockingly enough, the band is comprised of some of the most down-to-earth, gentle spirits you will ever have the pleasure of encountering. And, this gal was tasked with creating an enchanting evening of Southern-inspired fare for their last evening at EastSide Manor Studios (they’re recording their long awaited followup album).
Saliva on break and waiting to eat …
First and foremost, yes … you should go buy the album as soon as it drops! Secondly, and I’ve said this before … BUT, you know you’ve completely NAILED a meal when everyone goes completely silent and all you can hear is the symphony of chewing, knives scrapping plates and “mmmms”. If you’ve not had the pleasure of such an experience, just keep at it! You’ll never feel better than in that moment, make it your milestone and keep cooking!
The revelry of bourbon with Bobby Amaru
Paul Crosby, showing me a thing or two
Don’t be shy, Dave Novotny
Paul Crosby & Wayne Swinny helping themselves! John Painter (Fleming & John) chatting it up!
So, what does one make for a group of Southern-bred men who happen to be rock stars? I went with some tried & true favorites elevated just a pinch. Here’s the menu:
This morning’s happenings …
- I have a crick in my neck
- I have writer’s block; A common side affect of crick in my neck
- The photos of my turkey mini-loaves look like dog food with fancy sauce
- My iPad charger is on my desk … at work
- I realized today – I missed a software class yesterday
- Someone has to clean my house
- I have no groceries, so no cooking today
This afternoon’s revelations …
Sometimes there are simply not enough hours in the day, days in the week and beyond. I can certainly bank on a failed recipe, an awful photo or two and a few site blunders along the way. But, like really a really great roux – once you get it, it’s yours and you’ll know what to do!
See ya Tuesday!
Happy 2013! I hope you survived the holidays, overindulged, and kissed someone you truly love … I did!
Here in the South, we don’t simply wish health, wealth, and good fortune on our loved ones. We insist (ok, ok … demand) that our loved ones consume it! Needless to say, everyone goes bursting into the new year with a full belly and the promise of a fantastic 365-day trek ahead.
This year, I served Sorghum & Coffee Marinated Pork (for health), Sweet & Sour Fried Cabbage (for wealth), My Favorite Blackeyed Peas (for good fortune) and Rosemary Cornbread Muffins (just because). You can serve this any time the craving calls, but on New Year’s it’s a MUST. Now, it should go without saying however, for good measure make sure to have seconds.
Happy New Year, Loves!