I love roasted root vegetables! I mean seriously … the affinity is almost bizarre. Almost.
Here’s the thing … they’re delicious, easy to whip up, and with a couple of additions they go from ordinary good to extraordinary. Perhaps that is the appeal! No matter, I’m hoping this is the catalyst for the week ahead. At least I’ve done my prep work…
What you’ll need:
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tbsp. good quality balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. good quality olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- salt & pepper
- a handful of arugula, watercress, baby kale or spring mix
- crumbled goat cheese
- sunflower kernels for garnish
What you’ll do:
- Whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey until well combined.
- Toss all veggies in sauce and coat generously with salt & pepper.
- Roast on a baking sheet in 400 degree oven until sweet potatoes are tender and veggies have a caramel color around the edges … all the sauce should be absorbed
- Allow veggies to cool for a few minutes uncovered and away from heat
- Serve atop a bed of greens (I used arugula – the peppery flavor is fantastic) and top with goat cheese & sunflower kernels
*Leftovers are great the next day – no need to reheat.