Woot! Second time’s a charm folks. I believe after yesterday’s fiasco, it’s worthy. This dish is served with a bit of wisdom, parody … hey, let’s put it all on the table!
Life is an ever-evolving lesson in the art of the try. It’s not enough to declare you’re going to do something. You have to truly attempt and risk failing, pick it up (if you’re determined) and make the shit (sorry for the language) WORK! Don’t you dare give up after you fumble, try again. If you don’t … then you’ve truly failed.
Now that I’ve completed my soap box rant, here’s the recipe. It’s kind of fantastic, 100% vegetarian, and frankly amazing!
What you’ll need:
- 1 medium sweet potato – washed, peeled & diced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups of vegetable stock, water or chicken stock – whatever you have on hand
- 1 tbsp of quality olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper
What you’ll do:
- Heat olive oil to medium and add onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Add sweet potatoes, zucchini, cumin and chili powder. Combine until coated.Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Add stock and crushed tomatoes
- Add in black beans and bring to rolling boil
- Reduce heat and reduce to simmer until sweet potatoes are fork tender
- Serve with your favorite toppings – cilantro, sour cream, avocado, cheese, jalapenos, fresh lime, salsa, etc.
* This freezes WELL! Don’t be afraid of leftovers.