The question of sweet or savory is just about as infamous as the Hatfields & the McCoys, but we live in a world where everything you crave is essentially in reach … so why on earth should your cornbread recipe suffer on one side of the fence? Exactly! With cornbread, you can have your “cake” and eat it too! Sweet, spicy Mexican cornbread … you’re just 15 minutes away.
It’s no secret that I do not bake. Thank goodness for those of you who do! Now, it’s not that I don’t crave a baked good or that I can’t. It’s the measuring, weighing, timing, fretting … I am not a fan. But, I will go to great lengths to ensure that my cornbread is perfect!
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 2 1/4 milk or buttermilk (I used buttermilk – comes in handy to simply keep on hand)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of whole kernel corn (fresh or thawed frozen)
- 1 serrano pepper, washed & diced with seeds
- 1 tsp chives chopped
- canola oil for greasing muffin tin
What you’ll do:
- Coat bottom of each muffin form with a drop of two of oil and place in oven & preheat to 400
- Combine all ingredients. It will be a bit lumpy … it’s OK!
- Pour directly into preheated muffin tin (edges will start to cook immediately – that’s perfect by the way)
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a knife slides cleanly from the center.
- Serve with butter, chili, your favorite soup, plain.