What you’ll need:
- 2 cups plain white cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 stick of butter
- zest & juice of 1 large orange
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 6-8 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- Optional toppings – orange marmalade, honey, or butter
What you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour canola oil in cast iron, place in oven and forget for now.
- Combine cornmeal, egg, buttermilk, powder, salt, zest, orange juice, molasses and rosemary. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter to medium … once butter browns, pour directly into batter and continue to mix in.
- Remove cast iron from oven and pour batter directly into skillet. Edges will brown immediately (perfect).
- Bake for approximately 20-25 mins, until golden brown.
- Serve with orange marmalade, butter, honey or nothing at all. Enjoy!